It could be nothing more than a rumor, but word on China’s Twitter equivalent, Weibo, is that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has died in a possible coup.
The news, which would be a huge game-changer if true, has started to seep into Twitter, with MIT journalism instructor Seth Mnookin tweeting, “Rumor of assassination also floating around; no confirmation RT @KSHartnett Hearing word of #NorthKorea coup. Kim Jong Un on the run.” The news apparently spreading among traders, as journalist Harry Cole reports. But everybody with half a brain is treating the rumor with a good deal of suspicion. Read more.
Best Tweets Of South Carolina Primary Night
- NewtBlingrich: Lesson of the day: Never underestimate the *swing* vote.
- jacobwe: Boy is Romney going to enjoy firing people who provide services to him tonight.
- grandmofhelsing: Now if Romney desperately releases his tax returns, Gingrich will accuse him of appeasement.
- BorowitzReport: BREAKING - Gingrich Leads Romney By Two Wives
- JasStanford: Anyone remember that day all the conservative religious guys came to TX and backed Santorum? No one in SC does either.
- joetopham: When Romney speaks to a crowd, I feel like I'm watching a mid-budget film on a generic US President. The kind where he isn't the star.
- peterjwu: Romney sounds like he's reading a series of uber-conservative fortune-cookie catchphrases.
- reynolds605: Mitt didn't lose bc of Mormon problem; he lost because of condescending, millionaire Yankee problem.
- KingCockfight: I want a SuperPAC with a funnier name: Jerking Off with Lizards could be a great one for RonPaul.
- dennisdiclaudio: Seems wrong that the Mormon guy is the one with only one wife?
- timothy_dee: That thumping sound you hear is Tim Pawlenty banging his head against a wall.
- samyoungman: Folks working up a lather at Newt party. Lot of sweaty, happy people #unknownREMsongs
- markdmiller2: I wish my physician was Dr Paul. "Dr Paul, I have a headache!" Writes me a prescription for freedom. Broken arm? Freedom. ED? Freedom.
- DavidCornDC: I have "Neville Chamberlin" in the #NewtDrinkingGame tonight.
- NathanEmpsall: Somewhere John Edwards is saying, wow, 8 Americas! That's 6 more than I had!
- sheldonalberts: Scorecard from South Carolina. Philandering presidential candidates, 1. Elite media: 0.
- jmspecht: Newt: Obama "makes Jimmy Carter look strong." Yes, by killing Osama bin Laden.
- Btrue2thyself: Hard to watch the GOP presidential race but you just can't look away.
If the Arab Spring was the “Twitter Revolution”, is this the “Tumblr Revolution”
Earlier this year, Facebook and Twitter played a crucial role in mobilizing protestors in Iran, Cairo and Tunisia. Now Tumblr has been uniquely appropriated for a U.S.-based protest movement known as Occupy Wall Street, which has been coalescing in New York, Boston and Chicago to challenge the influence of corporate money on government and the growth of social and economic inequality….
Duy Linh Tu, director of Digital Media at Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism, said that Tumblr “hits a unique sweet spot.” Whereas Twitter only allows 140 characters and conventional blogging sites only allow the writer to interact, Tumblr combines the two.
The JFK airport turtles have a Twitter account.
Which is vaguely like “Andre The Giant Has A Possee”, I suppose.
Brief backstory: yesterday a small army of terrapins invaded the runways at New York’s JFK airport trying to get to the shore to lay their eggs. They shut down air traffic for about half an hour as airport employees moved them manually out of the way. It was yesterday’s news sensation, at least in that part of the country.
“Since y’all don’t objectify garden gnomes, we’ll chat. MT @hotelsdotcom: Now that you’re off the tarmac you probably need a place to stay.”
“We talked to @ladygaga and she told us to call you all our little turtle monsters. Meh. We are Madonna fans anyways.”
“Rumor has it we were chatted about on the @TodayShow. Maybe Willard Scott will mention our birthday this year!”
“Don’t blame delays on us. We just ordered some hashbrowns and are running late.”